Spamming is a problem that each and every blogger faces at some point in time.
Spam is nothing but an irrelevant or unsolicited message sent over the internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
When you own a blog, you will get many such irrelevant and unsolicited messages. To avoid this anti-spam plugins can be used in your blog. Below is a list of such plugins.
Akismet is one of the most popular plugins that has been there since a long time. It checks for comments and contact form submissions against their global database of spam to prevent your site from publishing malicious content.
- Automatically checks all comments and filters out the ones that look like spam.
- Each comment has a status history, so you can easily see which comments were caught or cleared by Akismet and which were spammed or unspammed by a moderator.
- Compatible with top WordPress plugins such as Jet Pack and Contact Form 7
- URLs are shown in the comment body to reveal hidden or misleading links.
- Moderators can see the number of approved comments for each user.
- A discard feature that outright blocks the worst spam, saving you disk space and speeding up your site.
You will require an Akismet.com API key to use the plugin, once activated. Keys are free for personal blogs whereas paid subscriptions are available for businesses and commercial sites.
This anti-spam plugin has a free version as well as a pro version. It detects all the spam comments with ease. You can use this plugin for personal blogs as well as commercial purposes. No API is required.
- prevents automated comment spam
- stores the comment for review in the spam tab
- remove the spam comments from WordPress after a defined number of days
- option not to remove comment spam automatically if desired
- whilst another spam plugin should not be required, as in our opinion this is the best anti spam plugin for comments created by bots, this can run alongside other spam and security plugins
- Protect your Contact Forms, including Gravity Forms, Contact Form 7 and WP Forms
- Stops fake user registration in WordPress
- Stops fake WooCommerce Account Registrations from bots
- Protect against human entered spam, using a machine learning anti spam server
- Unlimited number of entries checked via the anti spam server
- Automatically block and discard the worst spam
- Automatic spam statistics reporting
Also check out an amazing article on How to Create Surveys and Polls in WordPress Using WPForms?
The next best choice definitely will be Antispam Bee. This plugin has amazing features and the important thing is that, it does not require a registration like many other plugins. You don’t have to fill in any captchas or send personal information to third party services. It is completely free of charge, ad-free and 100% GDPR compliant.
- Trust approved commenters.
- Trust commenters with a Gravatar.
- Consider the comment time.
- Allow comments only in a certain language.
- Block or allow commenters from certain countries.
- Treat BBCode as spam.
- Validate the IP address of commenters.
- Use regular expressions.
- Search local spam database for commenters previously marked as spammers.
- Notify admins by e-mail about incoming spam.
- Delete existing spam after n days.
- Limit approval to comments/pings (will delete other comment types).
- Select spam indicators to send comments to deletion directly.
- Optionally exclude trackbacks and pingbacks from spam detection.
- Optionally spam-check comment forms on archive pages.
- Display spam statistics on the dashboard, including daily updates of spam detection rate and a total of blocked spam comments.
- No captcha, spam isn’t a users’ problem
- No moderation queues, spam isn’t a administrators’ problem
- Blocks 99.9% of spam registrations & comments
- Supports caching plugins to help provide great performance
- Blocks spammy IPs from ever seeing your site
- Extend the plugin with action hooks
- Theme & plugin integration for any form on your site
- Optional logging, so you can see who’s trying to spam
- Advanced settings for complete control
This plugin supports, Contact Form 7, Gravity Form, Ninja Forms, BuddyPress and WPForms.
As its name suggests, Cleantalk plugin is one of the cleanest plugins available in the market. No Captcha is requires, no questions are asked, there is no need to solve any puzzles, and its universal in nature.
- Stops spam comments.
- Stops spam registrations.
- Stops spam contact emails.
- Stops spam orders.
- Stops spam bookings.
- Stops spam subscriptions.
- Stops spam surveys, polls.
- Stops spam in widgets.
- Stops spam in WooCommerce.
- Checks and removes the existing spam comments and spam users.
- Compatible with mobile users and devices.
- Compatible with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU).
- Real-time email validation. Is email real or Not.
- Blocking disposable & temporary emails.
- No Spam – No Google Penalties. Give your SEO boost.
- Mobile friendly Anti Spam & FireWall.
- Stops spam in Search Form.
- Disable comments.
It supports, Contact Form 7, Contact Form by WPForms, Ninja Forms, Gravity Forms, MailChimp, Formidable Forms, WooCommerce, JetPack Comments and Contact Form, BuddyPress, bbPress, S2Member, MailPoet etc.
The Spam Destroyer plugin stops automated spam while remaining as unobtrusive as possible to regular commenters. This plugin is intended to be effortless to use and is good for small blogs or websites. Simply install, and enjoy a spam free website.