iOS 13 is designed to give your iPhone a whole new look, and take it to a whole new level.
Also See, iPhone tips and tricks
Key Features and Enhancements
- Beautiful new look – A new Dark Mode option gives iOS and apps a beautiful dark color scheme. Perfect for low-light environments. Dark Mode is easier on your eyes and won’t disturb people around you.
- Turn on manually – Tap the new button in Control Centre to quickly turn Dark Mode on and off, such as when you enter a dark room or theatre.
- Scheduled – Have Dark Mode turn on and off at a certain time or based on sunrise and sunset, which is great when you’re outside at night or using your iPhone before you go to bed.
- Wallpapers – New wallpapers optimized for Dark Mode automatically change as you switch between light and dark.
- System integration – Dark Mode is beautifully integrated throughout iOS, from built-in apps and settings to system-level views.
- Works with your favorite apps – An API lets third‑party developers implement Dark Mode in their apps.
- All new Photos tab – The all-new Photos tab lets you browse your photo library with different levels of curation, so it’s easy to find, relive and share your photos and videos. You can view everything in All Photos, focus on your unique photos in days, relive your significant moments in months or rediscover your highlights in years.
- Auto playing Live Photos and videos – Throughout the Photos tab, muted Live Photos and videos begin playing as you scroll, bringing your photo library to life.
- Smart Photo Previews – In Days, Months and Years, photo previews are larger to help you distinguish between shots. Photos uses intelligence to find the best part of your photo in photo previews, which means you get to see the uncropped version of your photo when you tap to view it.
- Contextual transitions – Animations and transitions keep your place in the Photos tab, so you can switch between views – like Days and All Photos – without losing your place.
- Removes similar shots and clutter – Duplicate photos, screenshots, whiteboard photos, documents and receipts are identified and hidden, so you see only your best shots.
- Event titles – The Photos tab displays the name of the location, holiday or concert performer to provide helpful context for your significant events.
- Birthday mode – If you have birthdays assigned to people in your People album, the Photos tab will highlight your photos of them on their birthday.
- Zoom in and zoom out – View your library in All Photos however you’d like. Zoom in for a closer look, or zoom out to quickly scan through your library and see all your shots at once.
- Screen recordings smart album – All your new screen recordings are now in one place.
- Search enhancements – You can combine multiple search terms – like “beach” and “selfies” – without tapping each word in search.
- Music for Memories – Soundtracks for Memory movies are selected based on what you listen to in the Apple Music app.
- Extended Live Photos playback – When you press and hold to play a Live Photo, Photos will automatically extend the video when you have Live Photos taken within 1.5 seconds of each other.
- Preview intensity – As you apply an edit, each adjustment displays its intensity, so you can see at a glance which effects have been increased or decreased.
- Filter control – Control the intensity of any filter, like Vivid or Noir, to fine-tune your look.
- Enhance control – Enhance now lets you control the intensity of your automatic adjustments. As you increase or decrease Enhance, you’ll see other adjustments – including Exposure, Brilliance, Highlights, Shadows, Contrast, Brightness, Black Point, Saturation and Vibrancy – intelligently change with it.
- Video editing support – Adjustments, filters and crop support video editing, so you can rotate, increase exposure or even apply filters to your videos. Video editing supports all video formats captured on iPhone, including video in 4K at 60 fps and slow-motion in 1080p at 240 fps.
- Non-destructive video edits – Video edits are now non-destructive, so you can remove an effect like a filter or undo a trim to return to your original video.
- Noise reduction – Reduce or eliminate noise such as graininess or speckles in photos.
- Vignette – Add shading to the edges of your photo to highlight a powerful moment using Strength, Radius and Falloff.
- Updates to auto adjustments – Straighten, crop and adjust the perspective of your photos automatically.
- Pinch-to-zoom support – You can pinch to zoom while editing to review your changes on a specific area of your photo.
- Image Capture API – The Image Capture API lets you import photos directly into an app when a camera is connected to your iOS device.
- Adjust Portrait Lighting intensity – Virtually adjust the position and intensity of your studio lighting. Increase the intensity of each Portrait Lighting effect – moving the light closer to your subject – to smoothen skin, sharpen eyes and brighten facial features, or decrease the intensity of the light – moving it away from your subject – for a subtle, refined look.
- High-Key Mono – A new Portrait Lighting effect, High-Key Light Mono, creates a beautiful, classic look with a monochromatic subject on a white background.
- Updates to Portrait Segmentation API – The Portrait Segmentation API now supports skin, hair and teeth segmentation, so developers can create new effects for Portrait mode photos.
Privacy and Security
- App location permissions – Control the location data that you pass to apps with new, fine-grained controls. You can choose to grant an app access to your location once or anytime you use it.
- App location transparency – Receive a notification when an app is using your location in the background, so you can decide whether to update your permission.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth location privacy enhancements – API changes and new controls help prevent apps from accessing your location without your consent while you’re using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Location controls for shared photos – Now you can control whether you share your location when you share a photo.
Sign in with Apple
- Sign in with Apple ID – Sign in to apps and websites quickly and easily using the Apple ID you already have. No filling out forms or creating new passwords. Just tap “Sign in with Apple”, use Face ID or Touch ID, and you’re all set.
- Respect for your privacy – Apple will never track or profile you when you sign in with Apple. The most information you’ll have to share with an app or website is your name and email address.
- Hide My Email – Not sure you want to share your email address with a particular app? You’re in control. You can choose to share or hide your email address. You can also choose to have Apple create a unique email address for you that forwards to your real address.
- Built-in security – Sign in with Apple requires your Apple ID to be protected with two‑factor authentication. That way access to the accounts in your favorite apps is protected as well, automatically.
- Works everywhere – Sign in with Apple works on all your Apple devices as well as the web and apps on Android or Windows. No matter where you need to sign in to your favorite app, you can use Sign In with Apple.
- HomeKit Secure Video – HomeKit enabled cameras can now add support to detect and record specific activity like people, animals or vehicles. These recordings are stored securely in iCloud. And new privacy settings allow you to control when your cameras stream and record.
- HomeKit Enabled Routers – Enabled routers bring an extra layer of security to your smart home. Use the Home app to control which services your HomeKit accessories can communicate with in your network and on the Internet.
- New map – Rebuilt from the ground up, the brand‑new map features significantly improved and more realistic details for roads, beaches, parks, buildings and more.
- Look Around – Explore where you’re going before you get there with an immersive 3D experience that gives you a 360-degree view of a place. And enjoy smooth and seamless transitions as you navigate your way around.
- Junction View – Junction View helps drivers in China eliminate wrong turns and directional misses by lining them up in the correct lane before they need to turn or enter an elevated road.
- Share ETA – Share your estimated time of arrival with family, friends and co-workers. Your ETA even updates should a significant delay occur.
- Real-Time Transit – See live departure times, the current location of the bus or train on your route and a more detailed schedule when viewing transit stops.
- Flight Status – Up to the moment information about your flight terminals, gate locations, departure times and more is now available.
- MapKit – Updates include vector overlays, point-of-interest filtering, camera zoom and pan limits and support for Dark Mode.
- Improved CarPlay experience – CarPlay provides easier route planning, search and navigation, as well as Junction View in China. Favorites and Collections features are also available in CarPlay.
- Siri intelligence – Siri offers personalized suggestions in Apple Podcasts, Safari and Maps. Siri can even detect reminders in messages and events in third‑party apps.
- SiriKit for Audio – Siri can now play music, podcasts, audio books and radio with third‑party apps.
- Radio – Ask Siri to tune in to your favorite radio station.
- Indian English voice – Siri has a new Indian English voice.
Memoji and Messages
- Share name and photo – Automatically share your name and photo when you start a conversation or when the other person responds in a message. Decide whether you share with everyone, just your contacts or not at all. You can even choose to use an Animoji, image or monogram for your photo.
- Memoji Stickers – Automatically generate sticker packs based on your Memoji and Animoji characters that allow you to express a range of emotions in Messages.
- Improved Search – Search in Messages makes it easier to find what you’re looking for. Even before you type a character, you can see recent messages, people, photos, links and locations you might be looking for. When you type in a search, Messages categorizes the results and highlights matching terms.
- Improved Details Pane – The details pane organizes links, locations and attachments that have been shared in the conversation so they’re easy to find at a glance.
- Improved Memoji Customization – Makeup lets you customize blush and eye shadow and includes editing tools that make it easy to get just the right look. Customize your teeth with braces and add piercings to your nose, eyebrows, eyelids and around your mouth. There are also 30 new hairstyles, over 15 new pieces of head wear and more earrings and glasses.
- New Animoji – Three new Animoji characters – mouse, octopus and cow – give you more options to express yourself.
- Animoji Hardware Support – All devices with an A9 chip or later support Memoji and Animoji sticker packs.
- QuickPath – The QuickType keyboard now includes QuickPath, so you can swipe your finger from one letter to the next to enter a word without removing your finger from the keyboard.
- Swipe or Tap to Type – You can swipe or tap to type interchangeably, so you can choose what’s most convenient even if you’re mid‑sentence.
- Alternate Word Options – Alternate word options appear in the predictive bar, so you can quickly choose a different option.
- QuickPath Language Support – Support for English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, German, French, Italian and Portuguese is now included.
- Automatic language selection in Dictation – Dictation automatically detects which language a user is speaking. The language will be chosen from the keyboard languages enabled on the device, up to a maximum of four.